Siranush Sahakyan holds an LLM in International Human Rights Law from University of Essex, Bachelor’s degree in Law and LLM in Public International Law from Yerevan State University. She is currently preparing her PhD thesis. Since 2008 Siranush has been teaching and conducting training on human rights and anti-corruption topics at various institutions, including the School of Advocates and the Justice Academy. Siranush is a member of the Chamber of Advocates and licensed to practice law. She is also an ad hoc judge of the European Court of Human Rights.
Siranush has held various positions at the public service: She worked for the Ministry of Justice as a leading specialist, was aide to the President. Her recent public office was the Chair of the Commission on Ethics for High-Ranking Officials.
Outside the Public Service Siranush acted as a partner at Legalata Law firm, a founder and president of the NGO “Protection of Rights without Borders”, an expert for OSCE/ODIHR, UNICEF Armenia, UNDP, the Civil Society Institute NGO, the Centre for European Law and Integration, the International Centre for Transitional Justice, being involved in different legislative initiatives, lobbing projects, monitoring, research, strategic litigation and legal counsel. Currently she is the Co-founder of the NGO “Path of Law” and the president of the ICLaw-Center Armenia.
2008 Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Human Rights Law, Essex University
2006 Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Public International Law, Yerevan State University
2004 Bachelor of Law, Yerevan State University
- Armenian Constitution
- Topics in Constitutional Law
- Anti-Corruption Compliance
- Securing the Accused Person’s Presence within the Territorial Jurisdiction of National Courts by Extraordinary Rendition: Implications for Human Rights and Due Process, Armenian Yearbook of International and Comparative Law, Vol. 1, 2017.
- Aggravated State Responsibility and Obligations Erga Omnes, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010.
- Sahakyan, A. Mejlumyan, Application of the Case-Law of the European Court of Human Rights by Armenian Courts, PRWB, 2011.
- Sahakyan, A. Zrvandyan, M. Ghulyan, Problems of Administrative Justice in Armenia, Asoghik, 2011.
- Sahakyan, A. Melkonyan, A. Mejlumyan, Administration of Justice in Military Cases: Court Monitoring Results. Van Aryan, 2012.
- Juvenile Justice in Armenia: Legislative Analysis. CSI, 2012. (In this theme - S. Sahakyan, A. Danielyan, L. Petrosyan, V. Wattenberg, Trial Monitoring of Cases involving Juvenile Defendants, CSI, 2011, S. Sahakyan, Casebook for practitioner: Juvenile Justice, PRI, 2012).
- “The Status and Treatment of Direct and Indirect Victims in “Disappearance” Cases: Approaches of the Inter-American Court and the European Court”, YSU official journals.
- “Review of the ECtHR judgment on Bayatyan v. Armenia”, Armenian Yearbook of International and Comparative Law, Vol. 1, 2013.
- “Implementation of CAT and Article 3 of the ECHR in Armenia. Challenges and achievements”, EHRAC Bulletin, Issue 18, 2012.
- Sahakyan, V. Avetisyan, K. Badalyan, Handbook for Training on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in Armed Forces, OSCE, 2013.
- Sahakyan, G. Sargsyan, Handbook on the Right to Liberty and Security: For Practitioners. American Bar Association CEELI, Armenian Representative Office, 2012.
- Co-author of more than 15 reports (for example, Report on Conditional Release on Parole in Armenia: Directions of Reform; Legislative and Practical Problems of Compassionate Release in Armenia; Report on the Right to Defence in Armenia; Report on Conditions of Persons kept in Disciplinary Isolators and Disciplinary Battalions under the MoD, Report on Probation, etc).
- The Medal of Services to the Motherland (2017)
- Special award winner in student scientific conference devoted to the 70th anniversary of Law Department of YSU.
- Award winner in Essay Competition on “International Humanitarian Law” (organized for students of the Law Faculties of Universities in Armenia) 2003.
- Award winner in inter-collegial scientific conference “The Problems of the Judiciary in the Republic of Armenia” 2002.
- Anti-corruption champion (2018), awarded by GovRisk and UK Embassy in Armenia