Siranush Sahakyan holds an LLM in International Human Rights Law from University of Essex, Bachelor’s degree in Law and LLM in Public International Law from Yerevan State University. Her pending PhD thesis is dedicated to the margin of appreciation doctrine.
Siranush Sahakyan is a highly accomplished and versatile professional with over 15 years of experience in human rights, judicial reforms and corruption prevention. Ms Sahakyan served as an aide to the President of Armenia, was in a service at the Ministry of Justice Armenia, chaired the corruption prevention body in Armenia and was an ad hoc Judge of the European Court of Human Rights. Outside the Public Service Siranush Sahakyan partnered at Legalata Law firm, was a founder and president of the NGO “Protection of Rights without Borders”, an expert for OSCE/ODIHR, UNICEF Armenia, UNDP, the Civil Society Institute NGO, Social justice NGO, the Centre for European Law and Integration, the International Centre for Transitional Justice, being involved in different legislative initiatives, lobbing projects, monitoring, research, strategic litigation and legal counsel. Currently she is the Co-founder of the NGO “Path of Law” and the president of the ICLaw-Center Armenia.
Ms Sahakyan has worked closely with the Justice Academy and the School of Advocates, implementing judicial training programs for Judges, Prosecutors, and their candidates. Her collaboration included development of course curricula on the topics of constitutional law, human rights, integrity, conflict of interest, public administration principles etc.
Ms. Sahakyan is a Licensed Attorney and has professional membership with Chamber of Advocates of Armenia. She has successfully managed practices in complex human rights issues.
2008 Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Human Rights Law, Essex University
2006 Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Public International Law, Yerevan State University
2004 Bachelor of Law, Yerevan State University
- Human Rights Law
- Armenian Constitution
- Topics in Constitutional Law
- Anti-Corruption and Compliance
- Securing the Accused Person’s Presence within the Territorial Jurisdiction of National Courts by Extraordinary Rendition: Implications for Human Rights and Due Process, Armenian Yearbook of International and Comparative Law, Vol. 1, 2017.
- Aggravated State Responsibility and Obligations Erga Omnes, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010.
- Sahakyan, A. Mejlumyan, Application of the Case-Law of the European Court of Human Rights by Armenian Courts, PRWB, 2011.
- Sahakyan, A. Zrvandyan, M. Ghulyan, Problems of Administrative Justice in Armenia, Asoghik, 2011.
- Juvenile Justice in Armenia: Legislative Analysis. CSI, 2012. (In this theme - S. Sahakyan, A. Danielyan, L. Petrosyan, V. Wattenberg, Trial Monitoring of Cases involving Juvenile Defendants, CSI, 2011, S. Sahakyan, Casebook for practitioner: Juvenile Justice, PRI, 2012).
- “The Status and Treatment of Direct and Indirect Victims in “Disappearance” Cases: Approaches of the Inter-American Court and the European Court”, YSU official journals.
- “Review of the ECtHR judgment on Bayatyan v. Armenia”, Armenian Yearbook of International and Comparative Law, Vol. 1, 2013.
- “Implementation of CAT and Article 3 of the ECHR in Armenia. Challenges and achievements”, EHRAC Bulletin, Issue 18, 2012.
- Sahakyan, V. Avetisyan, K. Badalyan, Handbook for Training on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in Armed Forces, OSCE, 2013.
- The Medal of Services to the Motherland (2017)
- Special award winner in student scientific conference devoted to the 70th anniversary of Law Department of YSU.
- Award winner in Essay Competition on “International Humanitarian Law” (organized for students of the Law Faculties of Universities in Armenia) 2003.
- Award winner in inter-collegial scientific conference “The Problems of the Judiciary in the Republic of Armenia” 2002.
- Anti-corruption champion (2018), awarded by GovRisk and UK Embassy in Armenia
E-mail: [email protected]
Office hours: (by appointment)