Dr Gurgen Aslanyan has served as an adjunct lecturer at the American University of Armenia since 2016. Currently he is a Teaching Fellow at CERGE-EI Prague and a Researcher at the Economics Laboratory of the Ural Federal University. Prior to that he has been teaching (classroom, seminars, trainings) in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Georgia, Russia, the UK, and the US. Dr Aslanyan is a Development Economist with a focus on policy evaluation. Over the years he has consulted private and public sector, such as the Central Bank of Armenia, and as a researcher has been affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania and the Czech Academy of Sciences. Dr Gurgen Aslanyan has presented his research and published internationally, is a recipient of various awards, and currently is elected to serve as the President of the Armenian Economic Association.
He holds dual doctorate degree from the Charles University in Prague and the University of the State of New York.
- BSc in Economics, Yerevan State University
- MA in Economics, CERGE-EI
- PhD in Economics, CERGE-EI and Charles University
- PSIA 352-Economics for Political Science
- Bus 233-Public Finance
- Econ 228-Economics of Development
- Econ 225-International Economics
- Econ 229-Special Topics (Policy Evaluation)
Areas of research and teaching specialization
Areas of research: Public Economics, Population Economics, Economics of Reforms, Economics of Education
Areas of teaching: Economic Development and Growth, Labour Economics, Micro- and Micro-Economics, Public Economics, Inernational Economics
- Non-Selective Migration and Unfunded Public Pensions: Can They Coexist?
- Melting Pot v Cultural Mosaic: Dynamic Public Finance Approach
- Financial Literacy and Behaviour: Quasi-Experimental Study (with Derdzyan and Mkhitaryan)
- Multinationals, Competition and R&D investments (with Torosyan and Levonyan)
- Bank Reforms and Real Economy: Utilising Synthetic Controls
- Migration Challenge for PAYG, Journal of Population Economics, doi: 10.1007/s00148-014-0516-x
Awards and honours:
- Alumni Hero Award, CERGE-EI, 2016
- Armen Alchian Award, Armenian Economic Association, 2014
- Best Paper Prize, Warsaw International Economic Meeting, 2011
Paramaz Avedisian Building