Dr. Philosophy, University of Bergen, Norway
Candidate of Historical Sciences, Institute of Oriental Studies, NAS, Yerevan
MA, Lund University, Sweden
BA, Yerevan State University, Armenia
105W, Paramaz Avedisian Building
(+374 60) 61 26 70
Mondays 12:00-1:00 pm
Areas of research and teaching specialization
Turkish domestic and foreign policy, Regional Security, Conflicts in the post-Soviet Space
Courses currently taught
- PSIA282 Survey of Regional Politics
- PSIA311 Caucasus Regional Politics
- PSIA324 Security Policy
- PSIA360 Armenian Politics
- PSIA364 Middle East Politics
Research Database IDs
SCOPUS Author ID: 36599336300
- SCOPE – “Religion and soft power: Religious Communities in the South Caucasus as Objects of External Influences”
- NUPI – “Research Beyond the Ivory Tower: Policy and Communication Training for University Teams”
“Islam in the Social and Political life of Turkey (1970-2001)”. Yerevan. Limush Press. 2008
- “Turkish Soft Power Politics in Georgia: Making Sense of Political and Cultural Implications”, ed. Ansgar Jodicke in Religion and Soft Power in the South Caucasus, London, Routledge, 2018, 21-41
- “Armenian Foreign Policy: Problems of Institutional Developments” in Armenia’s Foreign Policy: Some Perspectives Stephan Astourian. UC Berkley Armenian Studies Program Occasional Papers. 2016. 55-77 (coauthor Anna Drnoian)
- “Turkish Policy in Georgia: Social and Economic Implications of Integration Projects”, in View Across the Border: Policy and Society in Georgia and Armenia, ed. T. Turmanidze, Tbilisi, BST GMF, 2014, pp. 23-41 (in Russian)
- “Military intervention. Reforms (1980-1995)”, in History of Turkish Republic, ed. R. Safrastyan, Yerevan, Yerevan State University Publication, 2014, pp. 237-277 (in Armenian)
- “Crisis of the Political System. The period of the Justice and Development Party (1996-2011)”, in History of Turkish Republic, ed. R. Safrastyan, Yerevan, Yerevan State University Publication, 2014, pp. 294-354 (in Armenian)
- “Reviewing Armenia’s National Security Strategy: Challenges and Reality” in Conference Proceedings “Regional Security Dynamics In The Caucasus”, Limush Press, Yerevan, 2012, pp. 95-104
Articles in Peer-Reviewed journals
- “Armenia in the Eurasian Economic Union: Reasons for Joining and its Consequences”, Eurasian Geography and Economics, 58, no. 3, pp. 340-360 (coauthors Anna Drnoian, Narek Mkrtchyan, Tigran Yepremyan)
- “Praying under Restrictions: Islam, Identity and Social Change in Azerbaijan”, Europe-Asia Studies, 69, no. 5, pp. 819-837 (coauthor Nelly Minasyan)
- “Turkish Transformation and the Soviet Union: Navigating through the Soviet Historiography on Kemalism”, Middle Eastern Studies,2017, vol. 53, no. 2, pp.281-296
- “Institutions and Identity Politics in the Armenian Diaspora: The Cases of Russia and Lebanon”, Diaspora Studies,2017, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 64-80 (coauthors H. Danielyan, V. Sisserian, N. Kankanyan, N Shorjian).
- “Track two Diplomacy between Armenia and Turkey: Achievements and Limitations”, Caucasus Analytical Digest, 2016, July, no. 86, pp. 3-6.
- “The Kars-Akhalkalaki railway project: Why Armenia Should Revisit its Position”, Turkish Review, 2016, vol. 6, no. 3: pp. 130-135.
- “Kemalism and Communism: From Cooperation to Complication”, Turkish Studies. 16. no. 4, pp. 510-526.
- “Turkish Experience with Totalitarianism and Fascism: Tracing the Intellectual Origins”, Iran and the Caucasus, 2015, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 387-401.
- “Armenia and the Ukrainian Crisis: Finding the Middle Ground”. Caucasus Analytical Digest. December 2014, no. 67–68, pp. 14-17.
- “Cooperation paradigms in the South Caucasus and beyond: Making Sense of Turkish-Georgian relations”, Études Arméniennes Contemporaines,2014, no. 4, pp. 103-125.
- “The Rebirth of Turkish Studies in Armenia”, Turkish Review, 2014, vol. 4, no.3, pp. 350-351.
- “Framing National Security Objectives: The Cases of Azerbaijan and Georgia”. Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies. 2013. vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 325-340.
- “The Armenian Community and the AK Party: Finding Trust under the Crescent”. Insight Turkey. 2010, vol. 12/4, pp. 93-111.