Arpie Balian specializes in public administration, policy planning and development. She studied at the American University of Beirut, American University in Washington, D.C., and received her doctorate in policy, planning and development from the University of Southern California. Prior to joining AUA, she has taught in various institutions in Armenia and abroad and also has served as director of planning, budget, and evaluation in the U.S. government. Dr. Arpie Balian is the author of numerous studies and publications on policy analysis, evaluation and development. Her current studies include Globalization and national identity; Motivations of individuals to run for office, and Social impact of migration.
Arpie Balian, Professor
PhD, University of Southern California
104W Paramaz Avedisian Building
(+374 60) 61 26 72
9:00 am-12:00 pm daily
Areas of research and teaching specialization
Local government / development / governance
Research methods; Policy and program evaluation; Development
Courses currently taught
PSIA301 Graduate Research & Scholarly Writing
PSIA302 Political Science Methodology
PSIA345 Development Policy & Strategy
PSIA348 Policy & Program Evaluation
PSIAS281 Development Policy
PSIA102 Introduction to U.S. Government
CHSS292 Gender and Social Change
- Key Drivers of Public Trust in Developing Nations (current)
- The National Identity Debate (current)
- The Role of Armenian Women in a Globalized World (current)
- 3rd Tempus, International Conference: Strategic Management of Human Resources, October 2016 (Moderator)
- 3rd AAWH International Conference: U.S. Declaration of Independence, 240, October 2016. (Presenter: An Interpretation of the Preamble of the U.S. Declaration of Independence Using the Writings of John Locke)
- 7th AIWA International Conference, 2014 (Panel Moderator and Presenter of paper on Women in Policy Making in a Globalized World)
- AUA Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference, 2012 (Conference Organizer & Principal Moderator)
- EU Launching Conference & Partnership Forum, Constanta, Romania Joint Operational Programme Black Sea Basin 2014-2020, July 2016
- World Bank-Mission Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia Symposium on Strengthening the Livelihood of Vulnerable Populations, June 2016
- Summative Evaluation of the WB-funded Strengthening the Livelihood and Voice of Poor and Vulnerable People in Armenia (proprietary), May 2016
- Evaluation of the UNDP Innovation for Development and ATI through Social Innovation Projects (proprietary), May 2016
- Evaluation of the UNDP Community Development Project (proprietary). Formative Evaluation of UNDP Building Resilient Communities Program (proprietary), May 2016
- Armenian General Benevolent Union Convention, March 2015 Panelist: Nation-State Building
- The Concept of Clustering in Development: Challenges and Benefits (Commissioned Study), 2010.
- Summative Evaluation of Rural Program for Children with Special Needs, Mission East (Commissioned Study), 2009.
- The Challenges of the Millennium Development Goals for Developing Nations, UNESCAP 2008.
- The State of Income and Employment Generation Programs within Millennium Development Goals, 2007.
- Measuring Development Progress, UNESCAP 2007.
- Clustering in Rural Development: A New Model for Optimizing Use of Resources and Community Assets, 2006.
- Strategic Management in a Performance-Based Organization, USC 2005.
- Does Changing the Examination Process Affect Pendency: A Formative Process Evaluation, USPTO, 2004.
- The Impact of the Government Performance and Results Act of 1993 on U.S. Civil Service, USPTO, 2003.
- Does a New Form of Governance Change Management Attitudes in the Civil Service, Commissioned White Paper, USPTO, 2002.
- Would Performance-Based Management Work in the Public Sector? USPTO, 2002.
- Re-engineering the Federal Budget Process, USDOC, 1998.
- A New Approach for Improving USG Procurement. USDOC, Washington, D.C., 1996.
- Budgeting for GPRA: Creating a Government that Works Better and Costs Less. USDOC, Washington, D.C., 1995.
- Toward a New Accountability Framework in the Third Sector. Commissioned study, ARS Inc., 1991.